Cauliflower Pizza Crust! Cauliflower crust has become very popular within the low carb and paleo communities.This recipe was sent from heaven! This pizza crust is made without any of the standard “dough” ingredients, no gluten, no dairy, no grains, nothing but goodness from cauliflower.
Tips before we go to the recipe:
- The dough can be very fragile, have that in mind when you serve.
- Nutritional yeast is optional. It’s purely used for taste. Perfect for non-dairy lovers as it has a cheesy flavor and is loaded with B vitamins and protein.
- Top with whatever marina or pizza sauce you enjoy, organic tomato sauce, no sauce, tuna, no tuna, just veggies… It’s your art!
- 2 ½ cups grated cauliflower (about ½ a large head)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten (VEGAN: 1 flax “egg”= 1 Tbs. ground flax + 3 Tbs. water.)
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella (VEGAN: if you don’t want cheese, replace with 1 tbsp of almond meal or buckwheat flour and 1tbsp of nutritional yeast)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup homemade or store bought tomato sauce
- 1 cup onion and leek
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup basil leaves, for garnish
- 1 canned tuna
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Grate the cauliflower using a box grater until you have 2 cups of cauliflower crumbles. Place in a large bowl and microwave for 7-8 minutes, or until soften. Remove and let cool. Place the pureed cauliflower mixture into a nut-milk bag or cloth and squeeze the excess water from the cauliflower.
3. Mix in the egg, mozzarella, salt and pepper and italian dried spices. Once combined, pat into a 10-inch round on the prepared pizza pan. Spray lightly with non-stick spray and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
4. Top the pizza with the sauce, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, garlic, onion, tuna and leek. Bake in the oven until melted and bubbly, another 10 minutes. Top with basil before serving.