I started my first job form 9-5pm, which means I have to be more organised with my healthy diet. Every evening I make dinner for two, that way I have enough for lunch the next day. Here is a recipe for a nourishing Buckwheat Risotto with Salmon and Haloumi Cheese. The risotto is rice-less, but is incredibly comforting and fulfilling. Despite its name, buckwheat is not a wheat, it is a type of fruit seed, making it gluten free, nutritious and energising.
- Pack of smoked Salmon
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche (or any other cream)
- Pack of Haloumi Cheese
- 1 Broccoli
- 1 Zucchini
- 4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 onion
- 2 1/2 cups raw buckwheat
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock (I used water)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- A handful of fresh Basil and Thyme
- A large handful of Italian parsley
- Juice of two lemons
- Sea salt
3. Add the buckwheat and vegetables; stirring to coat the grains evenly with oil for 5 minutes.
4. Add the wine; cook, stirring until all of the liquid is absorbed into the buckwheat.
5. Begin adding the hot stock or water, ½ cup at a time, stirring frequently. Wait until each addition is almost completely absorbed before adding the next ½ cup, reserving about ¼ cup of stock to add at the end if needed. Stir frequently to prevent the buckwheat from sticking.
6. At the end when the buckwheat is nice and soft, add Salmon, Creme Fraiche and lemon juice.
7. On a pan grill the Haloumi cheese and add it on the risotto with basil. Stir and serve.